Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Want What You Have"

What a shame that we always want what someone else has. I read a post on the photography forum of Model Mayhem in which the poster lamented the fact that she met someone who was not even a serious photographer, yet owned very expensive camera and lenses.

She admitted she was jealous, and she seemed resentful that someone should have better equipment only because he had the money to buy it.

My response to her was the title of this post: "Want what you have". What I really wanted to say was there will always be someone with a better camera, a nicer car, a bigger house. No matter how much you have there will be those with more, and if your happiness depends on having the most, best or biggest, you are sure to be very unfullfiled.

Why is there such resentment towards those that have the means? It seems there's almost a sense of entitlement; that no one should have more than me, and if they do, they don't deserve it. What a sad way to go through life. If you want something, work to put yourself in the position to purchase it. If you can live without it, do so until you can afford it.

As my wife says: "You can have ANYTHING you want. You just can't have EVERYTHING you want.

2 comments:

mary said...

I tell my kids, you can have everything you want, just not all at the same time.

|ris said...

My motto is always: I do not want what is not mine. I think jealousy and envy are ugly things, and they rarely lead to anything constructive. I find inspiration in things other people do, and it motivates me to work just a little harder and smarter to achieve the same, but to lament and complain about the things other people have is really sad.